Saturday, July 5, 2008

The fourth of July


Lanie says to me during breakfast (yesterday), "Mommy, what's today?"

Seizing the opportunity for teaching, I say, "Today is the fourth of July. It's a day celebrated all across our country, commemorating our declaration of independence from England--"
"No, Mommy. I mean, what's today? Is it Thursday?"
We had a fun time. Some new friends came over for dinner, along with one of our very close friends, Denise. I grilled, despite the rain showers. The kids donned bathing suits and slid down the slides on the playset. "Super fun" and "hilarious" they called it; the runway was slick and they flew down those slides. We enjoyed tasty treats, cold drinks, and even a fun game (Apples to Apples). The kids later watched Cinderella, until it was dark enough. Then the neighbors to the east began their fireworks show. We all went out to the patio to enjoy it. Shane started a fire in the fire pit and we roasted marshmallows.



I think it was one of the best fourths I've ever had.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Those strawberries and grapes look so yummy, how could you not have a great time?

Courtney said...

You should have seen the dessert our friends brought! It was some kind of chocolate mousse cake. Wow.

I didn't snap any pictures of it b/c I figured they'd think I was strange for doing it. My husband raises an eyebrow at me when I pull the camera out and start taking pictures of fruit and dishes.

John said...

I think a picture of said husband with raised eyebrow, and the threat to post it, might be the cure. :)

Courtney said...

Funny, John. I once posted a quote of his that I thought was funny. I wrote it down so I would remember to blog it. Beneath my handwriting was his that read, "I will hack your site." Didn't stop me. Call me a rebel.